1. Spike TV wants new fights: Spike TV officials announced on Monday a change to the UFC 118 prelims, which will now see Joe Lauzon against his new opponent Gabe Ruediger and Andre Winner vs. Nik Lentz taking the second slot on the one hour special. Gerald Harris has been demoted to the non-televised preliminary card with the loss of Alessio Sakar. He’ll now face off against Joe Vedepo. That’s bad news for Harris, who could’ve got more exposure. However, for the fans, this Winner/Lentz match-up should be more exciting. Winner has looked great since exiting the TUF house.
2. Strikeforce going back home to San Jose: Strikeforce is heading back home to San Jose, CA. Strikeforce will be holding a major show on October 9. The event, which is set to air on Showtime, will be the twelfth time Strikeforce has put on a show in San Jose. The October 9 card is expected to feature a long rumored Middleweight tournament. Some are saying the tournament will be a one-night affair. I highly doubt this. But I’m sure the first leg of the 8-man tournament will take place this night.
3. Scott Coker confirms Werdum’s absence: Strikeforce heavyweight and Fedor-slayer, Fabricio Werdum will be out of action until early next year, according to Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker. Coker told MMAJunkie.com that, “The date is really to be determined because Fabricio is not going to fight until the beginning of next year, so he’s going to be sidelined for the next five months.” Well, no surprise here. Werdum said he wasn’t going to fight until next year right after he beat Fedor. Don’t worry guys, I’m sure Strikeforce will put together some other fights we’d like to see. /Sarcasm.
4. Bobby Lashley vs. Dave Batista in jeopardy: Scott Coker really wants to see the fight happen, however, the fight still has some hurdles to get past in order to come to fruition. According to a source with knowledge of the negotiations, Lashley is interested in the fight, but he’s leaving only a small opening for them to put it together. If not, he’ll pass on the fight altogether. He’s open to taking the fight, but he wants to step up against bigger names and better competition sooner rather than later. For Lashley, if Bautista wants the fight, than he has “a small window. October not January.” Please don’t let this happen. And I hear Batista wants $500,000 to fight Lashley, or anyone else he deems “not an easy fight.” What kind of crap is that? And Scott Coker wants to SIGN this guy? What a joke.
5. Anderson Silva out with cracked rib: According to his Jiu Jitsu coach Ramon Lemos, Anderson Silva will be out of action until February or March. Lemos was quoted at Tatame.com, saying, “After the first round he said he broke his ribs. He said told me he could not breath because of the rib. I told him to forget the rib and work the movement of legs and he would get the triangle,” Lemos said. “After the fight he went to the hospital and did an x-ray and the doctor said he did not break it, it was just a crack. Anderson is expected to return in February or March. We have not talked, but he has to take care of injuries, he fought twice last year and had an operation on his elbow. This year he made two more fights and now with this rib injury… He is no longer a boy, he is 34 years old.” This makes his win over Chael Sonnen even more epic. I’ve never broken a rib, but I’m pretty sure it doesn’t tickle. Especially with someone laying on you for 23 minutes. I wish him a speedy recovery. Long live the King!