1. Anderson Silva speaks on Chael Sonnen: In an interview with Sherdog.com, Anderson Silva says Chael Sonnen has the benefit of the doubt when it comes to steroids, but never deserved a rematch. “I’d give him the benefit of the doubt. I let the people decide. I’m an athlete; he’s an athlete. We worked hard for the sport, so giving him the benefit of the doubt would be better than for me to speak any kind of nonsense. In my opinion, he never deserved a rematch. He stayed in the same position all fight. I don’t think he deserves a rematch. If he couldn’t win in 30 minutes with me injured, could he win in a rematch? Maybe, maybe not, but I still give him the benefit of the doubt [on the steroid issue].” I didn’t think Sonnen deserved a rematch either. He lost, and not by a shady decision. As far as steroids, I guess we’ll see.
2. Chael Sonnen’s appeal hearing: Chael Sonnen’s appeal with the California State Athletic Commission will be heard. According to a report from MMAJunkie.com, Sonnen has filed the appeal of the failed drug test prior to UFC 117, and he is scheduled to go in front of the CSAC on December 2 in Sacramento to plead his case. He deserves a chance to be heard, but it’s not looking good. Dana White said there is some things that will come out that may help Sonnen’s case. But when was the last time you heard of an athlete winning appeals? Exactly.
3. Jon Jones’s obsession: Jon Jones told MMAFighting.com that he’s obsessed with Ryan Bader now. “I want to get to know Ryan Bader as if I was his coach or his trainer. I want to know what his tendencies are, what punch he throws the most, what makes him want to shoot his double-leg, where is his mental security blanket is in the Octagon. You know, where does he like to shoot? Does he like to shoot in the middle of the cage or against the cage? Every time I watch a fight I pick up something different. I just like to study. There’s a quote that says, ‘If you know yourself and you know your opponent, you shouldn’t fear the results of 100 battles.’ Just really being prepared gives you a lot of confidence…” That’s funny, because just yesterday he didn’t really want to fight Bader. Now he’s obsessed? I still say it’s stupid to have these guys fight right now.
4. Shane Carwin ready to fight: Shane Carwin has stated that he’s ready to get back into action, and he is expecting to return at the UFC 125 event on New Year’s Day. Carwin posted on his Twitter account, “I expect to be on the January 1st card. I do not have an opponent yet. Any takers? @UFC. I do not care who the opponent is. I have been in the gym working hard. It is time to see where I belong in the mix.” Why so long away? November or December didn’t want any of that? Carwin needs to work on his cardio if he ever wants to be champion, so maybe he’s working on that. Or maybe the layoff has something to do with his steroid allegation. Weird how that one got swept under the rug…
5. Brock Lesnar can shoot you in the face: So what does UFC Heavyweight Champion, Brock Lesnar, do on a day off? He practices shooting guns. And he’s very good, I might add. That’s all we need. The baddest mofo on the planet is honing his craft with deadly weapons. The human species just got put on notice. Have a look: