Gray Maynard told Jon Luther of MMAFA.TV that he doesn’t understand why Anthony Pettis is next in line for a title shot if he defeats Clay Guida. “Who has [Anthony Pettis] fought? I’ve been in the trenches this whole time fighting the toughest guys. He throws one kick and then he’s the greatest in the world? Let’s look at who he’s fought. Ben Henderson is the best name. And I don’t mind fighting him; I don’t care if I win the belt and then I have to take him on. But for me, guys like [Jim] Miller, [Gilbert] Melendez and all of these guys who have been on the f***ing grind, fighting the best competition for the past few years…that’s what I look at. Who have you fought? I don’t care about how good you looked when you fought a scrub. That doesn’t matter. If a guy isn’t good then you’re not supposed to look good. And for me, [Pettis] has fought one good guy in Ben, and he isn’t proven yet. He’s tough as hell, but we’ll see…” Sounds like sour grapes or jealousy or something. Pettis is exciting. Maynard is boring. Simple. And why does Maynard even care? Is he scared of Pettis? Or does he think he should get another fight against Edgar if/when he loses? He shouldn’t even be fighting him this time if you ask me.
Boxer Jeff Lacy sent out a press release on Friday stating that he had signed on for a bout against Strikeforce Welterweight Champion Nick Diaz sometime this fall. However, Diaz’s manager, Cesar Gracie told Josh Gross at ESPN.com that they are still trying to work out his MMA contract. “Nick’s [MMA] contract takes precedence. That’s why we’re not out there telling everyone what we’re going to do. We’re trying to work together with the UFC and not against them. And we’re trying to do things the right way. So we have to move forward with what we’re doing. Of course, if those guys call and say they secured a date and it’s going to conflict with boxing then it might change this whole thing up.” Gracie told MMAFighting.com, “We are only waiting to see if Zuffa is serious about a Diaz-GSP fight.” I’m sure this is a power play so Diaz will get that fight with GSP, but I’m sure he’d be willing to go through with it. I say we just fold Strikeforce right now and absorb those fighters into the UFC. Why wait?
According to his manager Cesar Gracie, Nate Diaz has decided to drop back down to the lightweight division following his loss to Rory MacDonald at UFC 129 last weekend. He should have never left that division. Unless he’s willing to lift some weights and put on some muscle, he’s much too small for 170.
MMAJunkie.com is reporting that Strikeforce Heavyweight Shane Del Rosario has been forced out of his fight with Daniel Cormier at Strikeforce’s June 18 event in Dallas, TX, after suffering injuries in a car accident earlier this week. K.J. Noons vs. Jorge Masvidal will take the spot on the card. This is horrible news. No word on the extent of those injuries, but they were significant enough to pull him off the card. As for the replacement fight, I love it.
MMAFighting.com is reporting that the long rumored bout between Gina Carano and Sarah D’Alelio is nearly finalized, and could be announced by Strikeforce as early as next week for their June 18 event. (YAWN) Who cares? I mean, it’s women’s MMA. Women’s. Not a fan, sorry.